One of the “younger” courses in the Myrtle Beach area, Founders Club offers just about everything a discriminating golfer could ask for in a course. Opening in 2008, Founders Club features dramatic holes, breathtaking views, natural beauty and lowcountry charm. All of it combines for some spectacular golf.
To be accurate, Founders Club is the re-imagination of The Sea Gull Golf Club. Most would say the Thomas Walker design is quite an upgrade. The fun starts at the first hole where you can get your flat stick prepared for the Emerald Bermuda grass right before you tee off, using the putting green that’s connected to the first tee. The hole itself is a relatively straightforward par four that provides a nice opportunity to get your round off to a good start. On most of the holes at Founders Club, it’s better to be long than short due to the hazards protecting the front of the greens. Here are some additional quick tips for your round:
• Avoid the pot bunkers to the left of the green on #8.
• It’s ok to lay up on #9, and when you do, it’s best to aim for the center of the green.
• Avoid the alligators on #10.
• Do not be short on #11.
• The better angle for your approach shot on #12 is from the right of the mounds and bunkers that split the fairway.
• While the natural orange sand may be intriguing in the bunker on the right side of the green on #14, do your best to avoid hitting your ball there.
• Be sure to land your ball on the appropriate level of the green on #18 to avoid a dreaded three putt and end your round on a good note.
Once you’ve made your birdie on 18, be sure to visit the new clubhouse, which offers a variety of delicious post-round food options. Your day is not complete without a cold beverage while relaxing and looking out over the 18th green.
Founders Club is an outstanding rejuvenation of land in the Grand Strand area. The lowcountry marsh, waste bunkers, natural vistas and native wildlife provide golfers with a gorgeous backdrop for their round of golf. It may be a relatively new course in Myrtle Beach, but its beauty and layout are quickly making it a classic.