The Grand Strand boasts more than 100 championship golf courses, but there are five times as many places for golfers to hang out after their rounds. From sports bars to cigar and gin joints, golfers have plenty of options for unwinding after a long day on the links.
Whether you are playing on the Waccamaw Golf Trail, the Big Cats courses of North Carolina or the home courses of Myrtle Beach, you won’t have to travel far to find the perfect 19th hole for you and your foursome. After playing 18 holes, check out these top 10 Myrtle Beach watering holes where you can relax and recover from your round:
1) Bummz Beach Cafe: This downtown Myrtle Beach establishment is an old house amid a row of hotels with the best backyard in town. Featuring an outdoor stage for live music and patio furniture for maximum relaxation, Bummz is a haven for golfers.
2) Bumstead's Pub: This English-style pub is a great getaway for golfers. Offering a wide range of imported beers and in-booth TVs for sports viewing, Bumstead's serves a full menu and also adjoins Dagwood's Deli, which serves towering sandwiches. If you are golfing on the South Strand, look for a second location in Surfside Beach.
3) Bully's Pub: After a round at Barefoot Golf Resort, check out this Barefoot Landing favorite for cheap drink prices and lots of arcade and bar games. Play billiards, darts or any of the video games for some friendly competition off the green.
4) Dead Dog Saloon: If you're golfing on the South Strand, consider it a great opportunity to visit the Murrells Inlet Marshwalk and its most popular bar for golfers, the Dead Dog, which is haunted by an old hound with a good nose for good times. Kick back in the hammock and watch the fishing boats sail in from a long day at sea.
5) Flynn's Irish Tavern: For those golfing on the North Strand, you don't want to miss out on this establishment. Located on Main Street in North Myrtle Beach, Flynn's is an authentic Irish pub run by first-generation Irish immigrants. Enjoy the great food and beer, plus lots of fun and games.
6) Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery: This Broadway at the Beach institution is happy hour headquarters for the Grand Strand. Offering $3 pints of house brews and half-price appetizers, Liberty has an outdoor beer garden and indoor pub room for all weather. Also check out sister-restaurant Liberty Tap Room in the Dunes section of Myrtle Beach.
7) Ocean Annie's Beach Bar & Grill: Located on Shore Drive just a short distance from Arcadian Shores Golf Club, Ocean Annie's is the hottest spot on the beach. Featuring live music and cold drinks on the oceanfront deck, golfers can chill out poolside.
8) Oscar's Pub: Located in North Myrtle Beach, this place is a must-visit for golfers from the Pittsburgh area. The owners and most of the patrons hail from the Steel City and congregate here for Steelers, Pirates and Penguins games.
9) Overtime Sports Café: After your golf game, catch the big game at this North Myrtle Beach institution. Featuring big screen TVs covering virtually every inch of wall space plus a sports memorabilia museum, Overtime is a great place for sports viewing.
10) Pawleys Island Tavern: Golfers playing the Waccamaw Trail courses should check out this Lowcountry shack hidden behind the hammocks shops and seafood restaurants. Featuring an outdoor stage with live music and a bar serving a wide range of brews, this place is in ace in the hole.
(photo courtey: Ooligan Press)