So you're going on a golf vacation with your buddies and all you have to do is pick the destination. That's easy, just don't screw up the entire trip and ruin your reputation by picking a place that no one will like. In this edition of the Face Off we decided to take a golf trip and asked our buddy Stephen to choose between Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach. Our group of eight guys is a mix of drinkers, cigar smoking aristocrats and cheapskates. So Stephen, where we gonna go this year…
We had both destinations reviewed on the things that really matter to golfer. Things like:
- Number of courses
- Great courses (those in the top 100)
- Places to eat and drink
- Did we say places to drink?
- Ease of access
- Off-Course entertainment
- Price for a golf package
Hilton Head Island
|Number of Courses||91||23|
|Golf Digest 4.5 Star Courses||30||10|
|Nightlife, Bars, Entertainment (Night Out)||407||64|
|Direct Flights (TripAdvisor)||24||17|
|Lodging Options (TripAdvisor)||225||37|
|Price for a Package (4 night/3Round)||$456||$555|
Before we decided on our location we price shopped both destinations online using one of the top packagers for each area. For Myrtle Beach we used MyrtleBeachGolf.com, for Hilton Head, we used Hilton Head Golf Vacations. Below is a side by side comparison between our two choices for a 4 round package for 8 guys.
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hiltion Head Island, SC
|We chose a Prime Times package on MyrtleBeachGolf.com for our Myrlte Beach golf vacation. Our trip included accommodations at a golf villa as well as rounds of Golf at Barefoot Resort,||
For our Hilton Head trip, we chose to play the Ocean Course, Palmetto Dunes, Hiltion Head National and Old South.
We also, chose a golf villa for 3 nights that would accommodate our group of eight guys.
|TOTAL PRICE: $456||TOTAL PRICE: $555|
After looking at all the options we chose Myrtle Beach for our next trip. Here are the deciding factors that lead us to choose the Grand Strand for this year:
- Course Options: We wanted a variety
- The Town: when the eight of us get together we enjoy a great steak and a good watering hole to relive our college years
- Travel: Since we're coming in from all around the east coast, the ease of getting to Myrtle Beach meant we got an extra round in
- Off-Course Activities: From restaurants and bars to the beach. There was just more things to do in Myrtle. Plus it seemed like a place that better caters to a roudy group of guys.
Shop for yourself and let us know here how your vacation plans go. We think you, like us, will chose Myrtle Beach for your next golf vacation.